• 2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
• 1 / 2 cup fine-chopped yellow onions
• 1 (6- to 7-ounce) can
salmon, squeezed dry and flaked with a fork
• 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried
• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 1 / 2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
• 1 / 4 teaspoon salt
• 1 / 4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 / 4 cup sour cream, for garnish
In a large bowl, combine the thawed hash browns with the onions. Mash with a fork until the mixture holds together. Add the salmon, eggs, dill, mustard, pepper and salt; mix well. Form the mixture into 8 patties, then roll them in the breadcrumbs to coat.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Place the patties in the pan (if necessary, cook the patties in two batches using half the oil for each batch) and cook 2 to 3 minute per side until well browned and heated through. Serve topped with sour cream. Makes 4 servings; 8 cakes.
Per cake: 312 calories, 44 percent calories from fat, 15 grams total fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 151 milligrams cholesterol, 26 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams total fiber, 2 grams total sugars, 24 grams net carbs, 17 grams protein, 423 milligrams sodium.
Recipe: Salmon-Potato Cakes
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
The Baltimore Sun encourages civil dialogue related to our stories; you must register and log-in to our site in order to participate. We reserve the right to remove any user and to delete comments that violate our Terms of Service. By commenting, you agree to these terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.