Recipe: Ginger ice cream
(Ricardo DeAratanha / Los Angeles Times)
- What's hot: 139 of the latest recipes from the L.A. Times Test Kitchen
- Browse more than a thousand recipes from the L.A. Times test kitchen
- Opening the vault: Our best recipes
- 26 years of our best recipes
- 155 recipes for your favorite restaurant dishes
- 127 wine picks by S. Irene Virbila
See more photos »
Ginger ice cream
1 cup milk
1 (1/4-inch) chunk ginger root, grated
1 cup half and half
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
Scald milk over medium heat in saucepan. When milk is almost boiling, remove from heat and add ginger root. Let steep until cool.
Combine half and half, whipping cream and sugar. Whisk to blend. Add milk, pouring through strainer to remove ginger root. Stir again to make sure sugar is well absorbed.
Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Then pack into glass or metal dish and freeze at least 1 hour. Makes 1 quart, or 6 servings.
Each serving contains about: 316 calories; 50 mg sodium; 96 mg cholesterol; 26 grams fat; 19 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams protein; trace fiber.