1. "Unlucky 13" by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro (Little, Brown, $28). When a killer resurfaces, The Women's Murder Club tries to find her before she finds them. Last week: 1
2. "Field of Prey" by John Sandford (Putnam, $28.95). After police find bodies in an abandoned farmyard in Minnesota, Lucas Davenport is called in and discovers shocking facts related to the deaths. Last week: 2
3. "The Target" by David Baldacci (Grand Central, $28). At the president's request, Will Robie and his partner Jessica Reel try to take down a global threat. Last week: 3
4. "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt (Little, Brown, $30). A terrorist attack in an art museum sets Theo Decker on a life-altering path. Last week: 7
5. "Natchez Burning" by Greg Iles (William Morrow, $27.99). A Southern lawyer tries to prove his father's innocence in the murder of a nurse. Last week: 6
1. "Capital in the Twenty-First Century" by Thomas Piketty (Belknap, $39.95). The French economist analyzes economic history and gives his interpretation of its present-day ramifications. Last week: 4
2. "Finding Me" by Michelle Knight (Weinstein, $24.99). Knight, one of the captives held for more than a decade by Cleveland bus driver Ariel Castro, shares details about her life in captivity and her journey since then. Last week: 1
3. "Think Like a Freak" by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner (William Morrow, $28.99). "Freakonomics" authors offer problem-solving tips. Last week: —
4. "Good Call" by Jase Robertson with Mark Schlabach (Howard, $25.99). The "Duck Dynasty" star talks about his family life, his faith and the duck-hunting business. Last week: 3
5. "Instinct" by T.D. Jakes (FaithWords, $25). The Dallas bishop offers readers tips on how to use their inherent abilities to make decisions. Last week: 5
— Publishers Weekly
1. "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn (Crown, $25). When Amy goes missing on her fifth wedding anniversary, all fingers point to her husband, Nick.
2. "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green (Dutton, $17.99). A girl who has cancer finds love despite her prognosis.
3. "Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Little Golden Book" by Diane E. Muldrow (Little Golden, $9.99). The children's books editor offers tips for adults on how to get the most out of life.
3. "Capital in the Twenty-First Century" by Thomas Piketty (Belknap, $39.95). The French economist analyzes economic history and gives his interpretation of its present-day ramifications.
4. "Think Like a Freak" by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner (William Morrow, $28.99). "Freakonomics" authors offer problem-solving tips.
5. "Stress Test" by Timothy F. Geithner (Crown, $35.) Former U.S. Treasury secretary on the global recession of 2009.
For the week ending May 17.
Participating bookstores: Barbara's Bookstores (Chicago), Anderson's Bookshop (Naperville), The Book Stall at Chestnut Court (Winnetka), Unabridged Bookstore (Chicago), The Book Table (Oak Park), The Bookstore (Glen Ellyn), Women & Children First Bookstore (Chicago), Azizi Books (Matteson), The Book Bin (Northbrook).