A wedding isn't is complete without mini tacos, a beachside mariachi band and a 5-month-old ring bearer who happens to be an internet sensation — at least, not for Michael Phelps and Nicole Johnson.
The Olympic swimming phenom and the former Miss California shared details about their October wedding with Brides.com this week, along with photos and video from the special occasion.
The couple were officially (and secretly) married in June, but held a ceremony and reception for family and friends in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, in October.
Johnson handled most of the wedding planning. Phelps was pretty busy becoming the most decorated Olympian of all time this summer in Rio, but the Towson native did have "a lot of input on the food," he told Brides.
Here are few tidbits we learned from Mr. and Mrs. Phelps' interview:
- The couple's son, Boomer, served as ring bearer (with some help from Olympic swimmer Allison Schmitt).
- Boomer's fashion game is strong (he wore a Burberry outfit).
- Phelps and Johnson are "taco people" -- hence the mini tacos guests were greated with during cocktail hour (along with a mini corona or shot of tequila).
- Phelps wanted to sport a beard for the wedding (thanks, Nicole, for convincing him otherwise).
- They know how to party -- the reception lasted until 2:30 a.m.
You can read the full interview and see photos and video from the wedding here.