To "Grey's Anatomy" fanatics, he'll always be the Golden Globe-nominated actor who plays Dr. Derek Shepherd (more widely known as "McDreamy"). But on Saturday, Patrick Dempsey will be the driver of the No. 27 Porsche in the Grand Prix of Baltimore American Le Mans Series (ALMS) race.
Racing is not a new passion for the 47-year-old actor, as shown by the four-part documentary series "Patrick Dempsey: Racing Le Mans" that debuts 10 p.m. Wednesday on both Velocity and the Discovery Channel. Filming began last year when Dempsey competed in both the ALMS and the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series.
"Racing is my true passion, and taking Le Mans [is] the biggest challenge of my life so far," Dempsey said in a press release.
- Actor/driver Patrick Dempsey on racing in Baltimore [Video]
- Patrick Dempsey at Grand Prix of Baltimore [Pictures]
- Celebrity sightings in Baltimore [Pictures]
- Top 10 Baltimore Grand Prix 2013 dining options [Pictures]
- 10 things to do this weekend if you're not going to the Grand Prix [Pictures]
- Fashion 5: Grand Prix Edition [Pictures]
Saturday's race takes place at 3:45 p.m., and tickets are still available here. We hope to speak with Dempsey on Saturday about his love of racing, the Grand Prix of Baltimore and what he has planned next.