1. NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY. The Historic Homes Contest (the "Contest") is sponsored by The Baltimore Sun Company, LLC ("Baltimore Sun"), Bella Kitchen and Bath and Hotel Monaco Baltimore. Contest is offered only in the counties in Harford, Howard, Baltimore, Carroll, Anne Arundel Counties & Baltimore City, Maryland (the "Contest Area") and is subject to all federal, state and local laws. Contest begins on October 6, 2013. Entry deadline has been extended to Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time ("ET"). The Baltimore Sun’s computer is the official time-keeping device for this Contest. By entering, you agree to these Official Rules.
2. Eligibility. To enter, you must be at least eighteen (18) years old or older and live in the House entered in the Contest Area above. You are not eligible to enter if you are (a) an employee of the Baltimore Sun, Bella Kitchen and Bath, Hotel Monaco Baltimore or their affiliates, or a member of the immediate family (defined as spouse, parents, siblings or children) or household (whether or not related) of any such employees. Void where prohibited and outside Maryland. This Contest will be governed and enforced pursuant to Maryland law, excluding choice of law provisions.
3. Prizes: The following Grand Prize will be available: a gift certificate for a two-night stay at the Hotel Monaco Baltimore. Approximate Retail Value ("ARV"): $458. All prize details are at the Baltimore Sun’s sole discretion. Winner assumes sole responsibility for all costs associated with the prize not explicitly outlined above, including without limitation, all federal, state and local taxes (if any), fees, and surcharges on a prize. No other elements, including but not limited to meals, transportation and gratuities, are included in the Grand Prize. Gift certificate is subject to any additional terms and conditions printed thereon or imposed by issuer, is valid for one year from the date of issuance and is not valid during Hotel black-out dates. Grand Prize is not redeemable for cash and may not be sold, bartered or auctioned. Grand Prize may not be transferred or substituted except that Baltimore Sun in its discretion may substitute a prize, or portion thereof, with a prize or portion of equal or greater value if it deems necessary. Any such changes will be announced. Any portion of the prize not used by the winner is forfeit and no cash substitute will be offered or permitted. Prize being offered is provided "as is" with no warranty or guarantee either express or implied by the Baltimore Sun. The Baltimore Sun has neither made nor is responsible or liable for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any prize. Other restrictions apply.
4. Entries: Entries will be accepted beginning October 6, 2013 at 12:01 a.m. ET and ending October 25, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. ET. To enter, submit the following materials to www.baltimoresun.com/historic : a minimum of five (5) photographs ("Photos") of your house, including the exterior and interiors, which show the historic details; and a caption ("Caption") (max 50 words) stating the date the house was built, the city, county or neighborhood in which the house is located, and (optional) any unique history or feature of the house. Entries identified as finalists and/or semi-finalists will need to provide the following contact information: your name, address, daytime telephone number, and your e-mail address (if you have one). Photos should not include people. Any home in the Contest Area that is at least 50 years old as of the date of entry is eligible, including those that have been adapted for use as living space such as converted churches, barns and carriage homes. Homes must be owner occupied to be eligible.
5. Limit one (1) entry per person and per e-mail address. Additional entries received from any such person or email address thereafter will be void. Uses of automated devices are not valid for entry. No group submissions will be accepted. In the event of a dispute as to the identity or eligibility of a winner based on an e-mail address, the winning entry will be deemed made by the "Authorized Account Holder" of the e-mail address used at time of entry. "Authorized Account Holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, education institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
6. All entries must be received by the Baltimore Sun no later than October 25, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. ET. Entrants who fail to provide the required information by the deadline will not be eligible to win and will not be notified by the Baltimore Sun.
8. All Photos and Captions must be original to you and may not include any watermarks, signatures, or copyright notices. Any such item that is determined by the Baltimore Sun in its sole discretion at any time to violate these Official Rules, or to otherwise be unsuitable, offensive or in poor taste, may be rejected and the accompanying entry disqualified. Photos and Captions (including non-winning Photos and Captions), identified only by the entrant’s user name, shall appear online on the Baltimore Sun website at www.baltimoresun.com/historic. By entering, you authorize the Baltimore Sun to publish and publicly display the Photos and Captions in any and all media throughout the universe and in perpetuity for any purpose as determined by the Baltimore Sun, including promotional purposes, without additional compensation.
9. Winner Selection: All timely and properly submitted entries will be judged by a qualified panel of judges ("Judges") in accordance with the following equally weighted judging criteria ("Judging Criteria"): (a) appearance; (b) the use of traditional materials; (c) historical interest; and (d) style. The entry that receives the highest score will be declared the Grand Prize winner ("Winner"). Judges’ decisions shall be considered final and binding in all results.
10. The Baltimore Sun will contact the potential Winner in accordance with the information supplied to the Baltimore Sun on his or her Entry. Winner may be asked to provide The Baltimore Sun with valid identification and a declaration of eligibility, liability waiver and/or publicity release. Winner agrees to participate in a story prepared for the Baltimore Sun Real Estate section, submitting to interviews, a tour by the judges panel and photography between Nov. 1 and Dec. 6. Winner must keep his or her selection a secret until it is officially announced no later than Dec. 15.
11. By accepting the prize, where permitted by law, the Winner grants to The Baltimore Sun and those acting on its behalf, the right to print, publish, broadcast, and use for the purposes of this or similar contests, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter developed, his/her name, picture, likeness, and information, as news or information and for art, trade, and/or promotional purposes in any and all media throughout the universe and in perpetuity for any purpose as determined by the Baltimore Sun, including promotional purposes, without additional compensation or review, except where prohibited by law.
12. Entrants agree that The Baltimore Sun LLC, Tribune Company, their subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, distributors, retailers, and all of their respective advertising and promotional agencies, franchisees, promoters, representatives, employees, contractors, officers, directors, agents and related persons (collectively, the "Released Parties") (a) are not responsible for lost, interrupted, or unavailable network, server, or other connections, or for any failed telephone or computer hardware or software, or for any lost, misdirected, postage-due, illegible, mutilated or damaged entry forms, or for any failed, delayed, misdirected, corrupted, or garbled transmissions or errors of any kind, whether human, mechanical, or electronic, or for entries that for any reason are not received by The Baltimore Sun by the deadlines stated above; (b) are not responsible for any injury or damage to any computer, modem or other electrical device as a result of participation in this Contest or downloading of any software or materials; (c) are released from any and all liability related to this Contest and the receipt and use of any prize; and (d) will not be responsible for the inability to select winners because of postal failure, equipment failure, or data storage failure.
13. RELEASED PARTIES EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND (WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE), INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL RELEASED PARTIES BE HELD RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR YOUR USE OF THE INFORMATION AND/OR PRODUCTS PROVIDED AND/OR MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE CONTEST OR FOR ERRORS OR ANOMALIES RESULTING IN THE UNINTENDED OR ERRONEOUS PARTICIPATION, AWARD OF PRIZE OR OTHER BENEFITS UNDER THESE OFFICIAL RULES. RELEASED PARTIES WILL NOT BE LIABLE, AND ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE, FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RELATED TO YOUR PARTICIPATION IN OR INABILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST, WHETHER THE DAMAGES ARE DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU IN WHOLE OR IN PART.
14. The Baltimore Sun reserves the right to cancel, terminate or suspend this Contest or any part of this Contest should any non-authorized intervention, network failure, information storage failure, telecommunications failure, malfunction, or other causes beyond its control, corrupt or impair the security, administration, fairness and/or operation of this Contest as determined by The Baltimore Sun in its sole discretion, at which time, The Baltimore Sun will select the Winner in accordance with the previously described selection criteria from among all non-suspect entries received at the time of the Contest cancellation, termination or suspension. The Baltimore Sun reserves the right to correct typographical or clerical errors in any contest-related materials. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded. In the event that production, technical, seeding, programming or any other reasons cause more than the stated number of prizes as set forth in these Official Rules to be available and/or claimed, The Baltimore Sun reserves the right to award only the stated number of prizes by from among all legitimate, un-awarded, eligible prize claims based on the previously announced judging criteria.
15. By entering the Contest, entrants agree that (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event attorneys' fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses.
16. For a copy of the Official Rules or the final Winners’ List, e-mail your request to email@example.com or mail a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Historic Homes Contest c/o The Baltimore Sun, 501 N. Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD 21278. All requests for Winners List must be received by Jan. 15.Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun