How much do you really know about the scariest day of the year? Test your knowledge here, if you can handle it.
1. What does the Old English word "hallow" mean?
2. How large was the biggest pumpkin ever grown?
A. 895 lbs.
B. 1,004 lbs.
C. 1,140 lbs.
D. 1,192 lbs.
3. Which of the following quotes is not from the movie "Halloween"?
A. "He came home."
B. "See anything you like?"
C. "There is nothing funny about Halloween."
D. "Was it the Boogey Man?"
4. What is the common name for the mushroom species Clitocybe illudens?
5. When is All Saints' Day observed?
A. Oct. 30
B. Oct. 31
C. Nov. 1
D. Nov. 2
6. Where did Halloween originate?
7. How many Freddy Krueger movies have there been?
8. Fill in the blank: The origin of American Halloween comes from the Druid holiday _________.
A. Feile Moingfinne
B. Fiann Soula
C. Nos Galen-gaeof
9. Which of the following celebrities does not have a Halloween birthday?
A. Vanilla Ice
B. Dan Rather
C. Adam Horovitz
D. Kevin Bacon
10. Which of the following is the fear of Friday the 13th?
11. How much do Americans spend on Halloween annually?
A. $2 billion
B. $3.7 billion
C. $5.2 billion
D. $6.9 billion
12. What is the name for the Latin American holiday celebrated from Oct. 31 to Nov. 2?
A. El Dia de los Muertos
B. Guy Falkes Day
C. La Noche de los Espiritos
D. La Semana de Pimientos
13. Fill in the blank: Vampires are compulsive ____________?
14. Out of what were Jack-O-Lanterns originally made?
15. What is the title of "Halloween 3"?
A. "The Nightmare Isn't Over"
B. "The Return of Michael Myers"
C. "The Revenge of Michael Myers"
D. "Season of the Witch"
The Baltimore Sun, 501 N. Calvert Street, P.O. Box 1377, Baltimore, MD 21278