I've been covering wrestling for the Howard County Times and Columbia Flier for about 10 years now, and one thing I've never done is individual rankings.
I've kept records of the teams, and I've listed wrestlers in order of winning percentage -- but I've never ranked them in terms of head-to-head results. Until now.
It always seemed like such a daunting task. For one thing, results can be hard to come by, even with the Internet. If keeping individual rankings involved me calling coaches on a Sunday night and asking them if Cody Soandso beat Tyler Whoseit in a dual meet tournament two weeks ago, well then, I just wasn't up for it.
But a combination of things finally led me to take on the challenge. One, a new generation of coaches has embraced the online information revolution, and it's easy to get a multitude of box scores with just a few clicks of the mouse. And two, in the middle of January, there is a break for midterms that gave me time to catch up.
We've still got a ways to go with keeping a complete record of the season, and because of that, I'm sure my first crack at the rankings will need some adjustments. And that's where you come in. This could be an interactive thing where you send me an email saying, 'My son, Brady, pinned Dylan Localboy on Dec. 17, why is he ranked behind him!?' Which gives me the chance to fix it.
I did scour as many box scores as I could, and adhered to the scientific ranking methods that I learned from my former colleague Luke Broadwater (Maryland Wrestling Forum) as closely as possible, but in some cases that was impossible.
Anyway, here is the first edition of the ExploreHoward/HowardCountyTimes/ColumbiaFlier wrestling rankings! (I went six deep for the sake of simplicity and sanity.)106
1. Zach Hensley, Oakland Mills junior
2. Michael Beck, River Hill soph.
3. Jeff Barbera, Marriotts Ridge senior
4. Joe Quattrone, Reservoir junior
5. Jeff Hayden, Mt. Hebron freshman
6. Tim Null, Glenelg freshman
1. Alex Polonsky, Wilde Lake senior
2. Mason Kilcarr, Reservoir soph.
3. Taariq Mohammed, River Hill junior
4. Austin Miller, Glenelg junior
5. Ronald Hindman, Long Reach junior
6. Bryan Crumback, Howard freshman
1. Tony Farace, Oakland Mills senior
2. Jordan Trinh, Wilde Lake junior
3. Lee Carter, River Hill junior
4. Ricky Gezelle, Glenelg senior
5. Alex Bisant, Mt. Hebron soph.
6. Christian Jordan, Marriotts Ridge junior
1. Nathan Kraisser, Centennial senior
2. Connor Strunk, Mt. Hebron freshman
3. Mike Budock, Glenelg soph.
4. Patrick Linden, River Hill senior
5. Philip Frazier, Atholton soph.
6. Daniel Andrews, Wilde Lake junior
1. Austin Pagnotta, Glenelg soph.
2. Wilson Low, Hammond senior
3. Christian Lee, River Hill senior
4. Paul Quattrone, Reservoir soph.
5. Hutson Baumann, Centennial soph.
6. Jay Johnson, Atholton junior
1. Sam Rowell, Reservoir freshman
2. Ryan Carter, Glenelg junior
3. Brian Kirby, River Hill freshman
4. Michael Moore, Oakland Mills senior
5. Codi Parton, Marriotts Ridge senior
6. Sameh Boulos, Centennial soph.
1. Jonathan Goodwin, Hammond senior
2. Joe Kendrick, Mt. Hebron junior
3. Joe Zoller, Glenelg soph.
4. Wes Beattie, Reservoir soph.
5. Justin Burkett, Marriotts Ridge senior
6. Raheem Brown, Wilde Lake junior
1. David Ulysse, Oakland Mills senior
2. Patrick Mullens, Atholton junior
3. Stefan Chavis, Mt. Hebron freshman
4. Donovan DeLore, River Hill junior
5. Troy Walter, Glenelg sophomore
6. Brian Beach, Reservoir junior
1. Bryan Overton, Hammond junior
2. Anthony Pagnotta, Glenelg junior
3. Tola Morakinyo, Wilde Lake junior
4. Jack Noonan, River Hill senior
5. Joey Wysocki, Centennial senior