It wasn't a win, but Marriotts Ridge held River Hill scoreless for 100 minutes Monday and walked away with a tie against the league leaders.

"It was a great game," said Marriotts Ridge coach Robin Grey. "Both teams put their hearts out there. Sadly, neither one of us could finish."

For River Hill, it's the first spot on an otherwise perfect county season. The Hawks are now 8-0-1 and Marriotts Ridge is 5-1-3 in the league.

It was an evening of upsets and surprises for other county teams as well. Oakland Mills forced Centennial into double overtime before losing, 1-0, and Long Reach beat a heavily-favored Mt. Hebron squad, 2-1, for its second county win. Glenelg and Reservoir also posted wins.

Submit a Letter to the Editor for the Laurel Leader, Columbia Flier and Howard County Times

"River Hill came out strong. They definitely outplayed us for much of the first half," Marriotts Ridge's Grey added. "River Hill was quick, particularly in the midfield. We seemed shell-shocked. We struggled with possession, and even when we did have possession, we turned over the ball. Thankfully, Jenna Bergquist came up with some keys saves early on to help keep us in the game.

"Once we settled down, we got into a groove and momentum shifted in our favor. River Hill's defense struggled to keep up with our speed and often nervously kicked the ball out of bounds. We had numerous opportunities, but could not convert. River Hill's keeper (had two key saves in the end to keep them alive."

Keepers shine, Carey gets win

Brooke Carey made a huge save in the last two minutes of the game to give Glenelg a 2-1 win over Atholton this evening.

The shot hit the crossbar and ricocheted before Carey grabbed it to seal the win. She had six saves for the evening.

Her counterpart, Amy Weinberg also had an outstanding game, with 10 saves.

Glenelg "probably had more possessions and opportunities, but a combination of missing those opportunities and Weinberg's play made for a good game," said Glenelg coach Dean Sheridan. "It was a good back-and-forth game. Both teams worked the ball through the midfield to the attacking ends."

Danielle Burris and Christina Kaminsky scored for Glenelg, and Sammy Creese and Amanda Lyons had assists.

Katrina Macadoff got Atholton's goal and gave the Raiders a 1-1 tie at halftime.

"We came out strong, taking control of the game, but we had a five-minute breakdown toward the end of the half and they scored," said Atholton coach Stephanie Stoutenborough about Burris' goal. "Within five minutes Michele Hart played a great ball up top to Katrina and she placed it in the corner right past the keeper" for the halftime deadlock.

Stoutenborough was not pleased with her team's play midway through the second half. Glenelg took advantage of the breakdown to get the go-ahead shot.

"We got stuck playing a kick ball game with them until the last 10 minutes and we started playing our passing game again, but we couldn't score. We have had the same problem all year. We look great passing and working the ball up the field as we control most of the game, then we get it in the offensive third and freeze."

Lightning strikes Mt. Hebron

Long Reach pulled an upset by upending Mt. Hebron, 2-1, today. It is the second county victory for Long Reach, now 2-6-1 in the league.

Sophomore Heather Glasser scored on a header on a corner kick five minutes into the game. Junior Angelina Rebaza had the assist.

Mt. Hebron (5-3-1 overall) scored on a header off a corner kick in the first half to tie the game.