With 12 of a possible 14 wrestlers advancing to Saturday morning's semifinal round, Glenelg leads the team standings of the Howard County wrestling tournament, 107-96, over defending county, regional and Class 4A-3A state champion River Hill.
Glenelg (2007, 2008, 2011) and River Hill (2000-2004, 2009, 2012) have combined to win 10 Howard County tournaments since 2000.
The Hawks, who won the Howard County regular-season title, advanced 10 wrestlers into the semifinals, including defending county champions Cory Daniel (195) and Logan Kirby (220).
- 12 wrestlers to watch at the Howard County tournament [Pictures]
- The Baltimore Sun's 2014 Spring All-Metro
- High school sports in August-September 2014 [Pictures]
- High school sports championships [Pictures]
- National Signing Day 2014 [Pictures]
- National Signing Day ceremonies [Pictures]
See more photos »
Five other defending county champions -- Oakland Mills' Zach Hensley (120), Reservoir's Mason Kilcarr (132) and Sam Rowell (152), Wilde Lake's Malik Jackson (145) and Atholton's Pat Mullens (160) -- are also still alive through the quarterfinal round.
Rounding out the top three, Wilde Lake (67) holds a narrow lead over 2010 champion Reservoir (64.5) and host Oakland Mills (60.5), which has won 10 Howard County tournaments, most recently in 1995.