Fifth Street fire

Fifth Street fire (Photo courtesy city of Laurel / March 11, 2013)

Firefighters found and rescued one pet turtle in a bedroom fire in a Fifth Street duplex Monday, but other pet turtles were still missing, according to Laurel City Spokesman Pete Piringer.

Laurel Police officers on routine patrol noticed the smoke around 12:30 p.m., Piringer said.

Laurel Fire Marshall Dave Cope said the fire, which caused $180,000 in damages and displaced a family of two, was caused by a candle in a first-floor apartment.

This story has been updated.


"Like" Laurel Leader's Facebook page