www.baltimoresun.com/explore/howard/publications/laurel-leader/ph-ll-turtle-rescued-fire-fifth-street-20130311,0,559722.story

baltimoresun.com

Turtle rescued from apartment fire on Fifth Street

By Melanie Dzwonchyk, mdzwonchyk@tribune.com

4:49 PM EDT, March 11, 2013

Advertisement

Firefighters found and rescued one pet turtle in a bedroom fire in a Fifth Street duplex Monday, but other pet turtles were still missing, according to Laurel City Spokesman Pete Piringer.

Laurel Police officers on routine patrol noticed the smoke around 12:30 p.m., Piringer said.

Laurel Fire Marshall Dave Cope said the fire, which caused $180,000 in damages and displaced a family of two, was caused by a candle in a first-floor apartment.

This story has been updated.