12:57 PM EDT, October 27, 2011
Espresso Amaretto Sundae
4-6 ounces heavy whipping cream, whipped
3-4 tablespoons amaretto liquor
4 large scoops of good vanilla ice cream
8 amaretti or almond cookies, crumbled and separated
8 tablespoons hot espresso coffee
* Whip the cream with a whisk, if making from scratch. When thick, fold in the amaretto liquor one tablespoon at a time and continue to whip.
* Using four wine or martini glasses, crumble one cookie at the bottom of each glass. Add 1 large scoop of ice cream, and pour two tablespoons of hot espresso over the ice cream. Next, top with a dollop of amaretto whipped cream and crumbled cookie. Serve immediately.
Pasta with Red Onions, Arugula and Ricotta
1 pound short pasta (farfalle, small ziti or tubettini)
3-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large red onions, finely sliced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 bag arugula, roughly chopped, divided
Salt and pepper to taste
6 ounces ricotta cheese
3-4 tablespoons of pasta water
Parmesan cheese for topping
* Cook the pasta according to package direction or until al dente. Reserve some pasta water.
* To a large saute pan, on medium heat, add the olive oil and sliced onions. Saute until translucent and golden. Add the garlic and sauté another minute.
* Add 1/2 of the arugula to the sauce and sauté about a minute.
* Place the ricotta in a bowl, add a little hot pasta water at a time and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix until the ricotta has reached a creamy consistency. When ready, add the ricotta to the saute pan with the arugula and onions.
* Strain the pasta and transfer to the saute pan. Add the remaining arugula, Parmesan cheese and extra cracked pepper. Mix well to coat all of the pasta. Serve warm.
Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun