The year 2012 is the Chinese Year of the Dragon, symbolizing power, strength and luck. You'd be surprised how many dragon-themed gifts can be found this holiday season. Stuff one in a holiday stocking, present as a lovely piece of bling, or let someone vicariously enjoy the life of a dragon by delving into the newest dragon-themed books.
1. The Phoenix and Dragon Yixing teapot is the epitome of Chinese yin and yang. Each side of the emerald green pot features an intricate dragon and phoenix in a raised clay pattern. The dragon represents a powerful man; the phoenix a woman's beauty. 18 ounces. Comes with two 4 ounce cups, each designed with a phoenix and dragon with a vermilion red trim and a removable stainless steel tea strainer. $60 at Teavana at the Mall in Columbia and Towson Town Center and teavana.com.
2. Make tubby-time a splash with the fiery-colored Dragon's Egg Magical Fireworks Extravaganza. Made with lemon and bergamot oil and has a citrusy light fragrance. When it hits the water the egg fizzes into long sparkly tangerine-colored curls. Don’t let the crackly sounds frighten; they're part of the gift and the fun. $6 from Lush Fresh Handmade Cosmetics in the Mall in Columbia and Towson Town Center. lushusa.com
3. The Melissa & Doug Plush Dragon is a colorful soft toy and yet would look lovely perched on a bookcase or bureau, too. For ages 3 and older. $50 at target.com.
4. The Chinese-styled emerald-green Swarovski Erinite crystal Lucky Dragon figurine is simply a gift to be treasured. Has piercing jet-crystal eyes and faceted cuts. 1 1/2 inches tall. Comes in a dark blue velvet gift pouch. $40 at Macy's stores and Swarovski store locations. swarovski.com and macys.com
5. The Spiral Dragon Perfume Bottle by Milon Townsend will look lovely in the boudoir. The bottle is made of clear glass with red and yellow swirls. The stopper is topped with a deep red winged dragon and extends down the narrow neck and into the rounded reservoir. 5 1/2 inches high. $129 at Fire and Ice locations and fireandice.com
6. Let the silkiness of the cornflower blue Josie 'Dragon' Wrap with its dragon-and-flower motif make the special person in your life feel luxurious even during quiet evenings at home. Sash tie with interior tie closure, 35 1/2 inches in length. Machine washable. X-S to X-L. $68. Nordstrom stores. shop.nordstrom.com
7. Adorn her wrist with the shiny pink Swatch Dragon Fruit Watch. Has a pink case, pink printed dial, white markers for hours, and is water-resistant up to 30m. $50 from Lord & Taylor stores. lordandtaylor.com
8. Zagoory Dragon's Breath Stapler is a handsome piece to accessorize the masculine desk or home den. Made of pewter. $70 at the Pen Boutique at Sterrett Place in Columbia and penboutique.com.
9. Recently published by Random House, "Inheritance" is the epic conclusion of Christopher Paolini's "The Inheritance Cycle." Continue with the story about the teen who becomes a dragon rider. $23 at Ukazoo Books in the Dulaney Valley Shopping Center in Towson. ukazoo.com
10. Let someone curl up with "The Book of Dragons," written by E. Nesbit and H.R. Millar with illustrations by Ruth Stiles Gannett. Published by Random House. Recommended for readers age 8 and older. Read about the lives of unpredictable dragons set in England. List price $13. For discounted price, go to daedalusbooks.com.
11. Let someone's imagination soar with the Baby Dragon Puppet by Folkmanis Inc. Arms and mouth may be animated by the puppeteer. 12 inches high. Soft texture complete with dragony scales and satiny wings. For ages 3 and older. $26 at the Learning How Store in the Shops at Kenilworth. learninghowtoycatalog.com
12. The Dragon Water Globe encases shifting shapes and colors with its hidden LED light as the fangs-baring powerful dragon guards his newly acquired treasure. Uses three AAA batteries; not included. 6 1/2 inches high. $25 from mydragonfigures.com.
13. Performance Remedy Dragon Ice Relief & Recovery Balm by Jack Black is made with a menthol cream to temporarily relieve minor aches and pains of the muscles and joints. $22 at Sephora locations and sephora.com.
14. The Genuine (green) Jade Dragon Pendant will look lovely while partying during holiday time. Has smooth, cool lines showing 14K gold over sterling silver. 18 inches in length. $130 at JC Penney stores and jcpenney.com.
15. For that certain someone who enjoys wearing things a "little out there," there's the green Dragon Laplander knit hat. It's a bit hard to describe in words with its red-scaled top, two dangling white fangs and red forked-tongue, and two twisted pigtails with tassel ends. $20 at Spencer's locations and spenceronline.com.Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun