Three people have been hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning after pumping a basement that had been flooded in downtown Ellicott City.
The victims were found in West Friendship. Rescuers were called to the 12000 block of Old Frederick Road at about 7:45 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 8, for a report of a sick person. Paramedics arriving found three sick adult males with "an elevated concentration of carbon monoxide in their blood," said Capt. Jose Sanchez, spokesman for the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue.
The victims were taken to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. As of early Friday morning, the victims were "doing well," Sanchez said. Their names were not being released.
The victims had been working earlier that day in a vacant residence on the 8500 block of Main St. in Ellicott City. The fire department had been called there for a report of a gas odor and detected elevated levels of carbon monoxide, Sanchez said.
The home's owner told the fire department that workers had been working in the basement. They had been using a gas-powered pump, Sanchez said.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun