A Laurel mother was arrested and charged this afternoon after firefighters found her unconscious and her two young children wet from the spray of the sprinklers in their Main Street apartment.
Firefighters from Laurel and Beltsville arrived at the three-story apartment building in the 600 block of Main Street Friday around 1:15 p.m., where they found the apartment filled with smoke, "from ceiling to floor," according toPrince George's CountyFire/EMS spokesman Mark Brady. The fire had been extinguished by the apartment's sprinkler, Brady said.
Brady said two young children, ages 1 and 3, were found outside the kitchen but uninjured. Their mother was found passed out while under the influence of an unknown substance, Brady said.
James Collins, Laurel Police spokesman, said the mother, Ciarra Williams, 33, was arrested and charged with reckless endangerment and two counts of child abuse.
The children did not need medical attention, Brady said, and are now in the custody of their grandmother.
Brady said the fire was caused by unattended cooking, and the loss is estimated at $500. He also credited the residential sprinkler with containing the fire and limiting the amount of damage.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun