Occupants of a Joppatowne home were taken to an area hospital Tuesday night after a carbon monoxide detector activated in the home, where Harford County fire officials say a generator may have been improperly used.
"Three persons were taken to an area hospital after the fire dept. responded to a residence in Joppatowne for a carbon monoxide detector activation," Rich Gardiner, spokesman for the Harford Fire and EMS Association, posted on the association's Facebook media page shortly before 4 a.m. Wednesday.
"It was discovered the occupants were operating a generator inside their home," the post added.
Harford Fire Blog on Facebook also reported the incident, saying three people were taken to the hospital after high levels of carbon monoxide were found in the home on Jonathan Drive in Joppatowne.
"Levels inside the home were above 100 parts per million, which if not stopped, could be deadly after eight hours," Joppa Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company's public information officer wrote in a media release Wednesday. "Three occupants were transported to Franklin Square Hospital for carbon monoxide exposure; an adult male, an adult female and a 9-year old-child. Their conditions were stable."
"The source of the carbon monoxide was found to be a generator, under the rear deck. A basement window was cracked to allow access for the power cords inside the home," the fire company release continued. "Because the generator was under the deck, it was not adequately ventilated, causing the wind to blow the fumes into the house."
The Joppa-Magnolia Fire Company said it also handled a carbon monoxide related call around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday at a business in the 1400 block of Pulaski Highway in Joppa. Elevated levels of carbon monoxide were found inside the building, the fire company public information officer said, but no medical transport was requested.
The Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company, through Gardiner, tweeted around 6 a.m. Wednesday that "incorrectly placed generators have been seen all over Harford County...several cases of [generators] inside homes or outside where windows are open."
This updated story is corrected from earlier online versions.
Check back with http://www.exploreharford.com for updates.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun