In Case You Missed It: Baltimore Running Festival photos

Aberdeen house fire blamed on candle

Aberdeen Proving Ground

A fire caused by an unattended candle in a child's bedroom did extensive damage to an Aberdeen home late Saturday night, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.

The fire, in first block of Defense Drive, was reported shortly before 11 p.m. after a 4-year-old who lived in the home with his parents, grandmother and other adults discovered the fire in his bedroom and told his grandmother, the home's owner, according to a notice of investigation from the Fire Marshal's Office.

The grandmother's brother tried to put out the fire with a blanket and fire extinguisher before the smoke and flames became too intense, according to the notice of investigation. The two adults and the 4-year-old escaped unharmed and alerted a neighbor who called 9-1-1.

About 40 firefighters from the Aberdeen Volunteer Fire Department, Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Department and Susquehanna Hose Company of Havre de Grace responded to the one-story duplex home and brought the fire under control in 20 minutes, the Fire Marshal's Office reported.

Damage to the structure is estimated at $100,000, damage to contents at $25,000, according to the notice of investigation. The home had working smoke detectors that activated.

No injuries were reported. The notice of investigation lists the cause as accidental, the result of the unattended candle in the child's bedroom.

Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun
Related Content
Aberdeen Proving Ground
Comments
Loading