Every day the media reports more crime, more violent crime, all kinds of pointless crimes.
I can think of at least three excellent deterrents to crime – any crime:
• The moral/religious compass, based on the Judeo-Christian principles found in America's foundation that was once taught by parents, teachers and clerics.
• The fear of punishment after arrest, trial and conviction – particularly execution.
• The fear of being killed or severely injured by an armed victim.
There may be other deterrents, but aren't these good for a start? So, "to make our lives safer" what do our elected officials do? They:
• Say little about the steady erosion of America's foundations and core values;
• Seek to abolish the death penalty while trying to make prison life more pleasant;
• Work to disarm the only people who would ever obey gun-control laws or any laws – the honest citizens who elect them, pay their salaries and fund the police and/or security guards who protect them around the clock.
What a bargain for us, the taxpayers!