An Aberdeen Middle School student was charged Friday with reckless endangerment and malicious burning after he allegedly started a fire in a bathroom trash can at the school, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said.

Around 9:30 a.m. Friday, a male juvenile lit a fire in a trash can in a bathroom at the school in the 100 block of Mount Royal Avenue, according to a notice of investigation from the fire marshal's office.

A teacher discovered the fire and the suspected perpetrator, according to the fire marshal's office.

"While the fire was extinguished and contained to the trash can inside the restroom, this type of behavior can lead to panic and possible injuries," Deputy State Fire Marshal Oliver J. Alkire wrote in an e-mail Monday.


"Like" exploreharford's Facebook page