Jarrettsville house fire Saturday

Firefighters from Bel Air, Fallston and Jarrettsville Volunteer Fire companies were at the scene of a house fire in Jarrettsville Saturday. (PHOTO BY MATT BUTTON | AEGIS STAFF / August 11, 2012)

A house fire in Jarrettsville Saturday morning caused an estimated $100,000 in damage to the structure and its contents, fire investigators said.

The fire in a one-story rancher in the 3400 block of North Furnace Road was reported between 8:30 and 8:50 a.m.

The fire was caused by an electrical malfunction from the microwave and took 50 firefighters about 20 minutes to control, according to a notice of investigation from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.

No one was injured in the blaze. Firefighters at the scene said the fire was contained to the kitchen and attic areas of the home; however, there was heavy smoke damage.


"Like" exploreharford's Facebook page

The fire marshal's office said the home is owned by John T. Canova. Damage was estimated at $80,000 to the home itself and $20,000 to its contents. Firefighters on the scene said the family was displaced and was being assisted by the Red Cross.

Firefighters from Jarrettsville, Bel Air and Fallston responded to the incident, according to the fire marshal's office.