www.baltimoresun.com/explore/harford/news/ph-ag-hickory-house-fire-1202-20111130,0,7678995.story

baltimoresun.com

Alerted by their dog, two people safely escape house fire near Bel Air

Tragically, the 4-legged hero later succumbs from smoke inhalation

BY BRYNA ZUMER, bzumer@theaegis.com

1:54 PM EST, December 1, 2011

Advertisement

No one was injured in a house fire in the Hickory area north of Bel Air Wednesday morning.

Fire officials said the people inside the dwelling were alerted by their dog and got out safely. The dog later died, however.

Firefighters from Bel Air, Jarrettsville, Darlington and Fallston fire departments were on the scene of the fire, in the 500 block of Pritt Lane near Route 1.

The one-alarm fire was reported at about 9:40 a.m., Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS Association spokesman Dave Williams said.

The fire was contained before about 10 a.m., Bel Air 1st Assistant Chief Josh Krebs said.

Two people were inside the small, two-story home at the time of the fire; neither of them was injured, he said.

The residents were displaced, however, and are being assisted by Harford County disaster assistance, Rich Gardiner, also a spokesman for the fire and EMS service, said.

The occupants' dog, Buster, alerted them to the fire but ultimately died from smoke inhalation, according to the State Fire Marshal's office.

About 35 firefighters responded to the fire, which caused about $30,000 worth of damage and was started by a space heater near bedding, according to the fire marshal's office.

The home had functioning smoke alarms.