Save 75% - Only $49.99 for 1 full year! digitalPLUS subscription offer ends 12/1

Extension cord caused fatal Abingdon fire, investigators say

Fires

A faulty electrical cord caused last weekend's Abingdon fire that left the homeowner dead, fire investigators said Thursday.

The fire started a 4:59 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 14, on the second floor of a two-story wood frame home in the 700 block of Lombard Court in the Long Bar Harbor area. John C. Youngblood, 88, was home at the time and died as a result of heart failure from the fire and smoke in his bedroom on the second floor, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.

The malfunctioning extension cord was found underneath the bedstand next to the bed, according to a news release from the fire marshal.

A passerby reported the fire after seeing smoke coming from the house. Approximately 60 firefighters from Level, Abingdon, Joppa-Magnolia and Bel Air volunteer fire companies responded. The fire was controlled in 15 minutes and the smoke alarms were working during the fire, the fire marshal's office said earlier.

There were no other injuries. Damage to the house is estimated at $75,000, according to the fire marshal's office.

Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun
Related Content
Fires
Comments
Loading