BY BRYNA ZUMER, firstname.lastname@example.org
12:16 PM EDT, May 20, 2013
A drum filled with chlorine sprung a leak Monday morning in a pool mechanical room at Edgewood Middle School.
No one was hurt or affected by the incident, which was reported just before 8 a.m., school officials said.
The Harford County hazmat team responded to a leak in a 55-gallon drum that contains chlorine, county spokesman Bob Thomas said.
"Edgewood Middle School's pool technicians noticed a chlorine line had failed and leaked onto the floor in the pool mechanical room. The chlorine had drained into a holding pit," Harford County Public Schools spokeswoman Teri Kranefeld said. "As the leak was contained in the holding pit, students and staff were not required to evacuate."
"The pool techs neutralized the chlorine held in the containment pit with sodium thiosulfate in preparation for releasing it, as is typically done monthly to backwash pool water. There was no uncontrolled released to the environment, and students, staff and community personnel were unaffected by the leak," she said.
"Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) and the County's Emergency Operations Center (EOC) were notified of the leak as per protocol. The HCPS Facilities Department also responded to the school," she said.
Plumbers were on site as of about 11:45 a.m. to fix the line.