2:50 PM EST, January 15, 2013
A shed and two abandoned cars were destroyed by a fire in Street Tuesday morning, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said.
The shed, in the 3700 block of Bay Road, was occupied by a man, Dannie Ellis, when it accidentally caught fire at about 9:05 a.m., according to the notice of investigation from the Fire Marshal's Office.
"An extension cord was spliced into the Romex wire located at the base of the shed," the notice of investigation states. "This splice ignited nearby combustibles, extending and eventually consuming the shed."
The occupant discovered the fire, at the exterior of the shed. The fire then spread to two abandoned cars nearby, which were extensively damaged, the Fire Marshal's Office said.
The estimated loss was $15,000 for the shed and $5,000 for its contents.
Ellis was not injured, nor were any injuries reported among fire personnel.
It took 20 firefighters about 10 minutes to control the fire. Members of Whiteford, Bel Air and Delta-Cardiff fire companies responded
Units from Darlington and Jarrettsville volunteer fire companies and from Company 5 in York County were also called but were later canceled en route. First units on the scene from Whiteford reported a working building fire, according to monitored Harford County emergency radio broadcasts. A deputy state fire marshal also responded to the scene.
Aegis staff reports from Matt Button and Bryna Zumer.
Copyright © 2013, The Baltimore Sun