Save 75% - Only $49.99 for 1 full year! digitalPLUS subscription offer ends 12/1

Blaze at Churchville home caused by dryer; damage estimated at $75,000

FiresPhotographyRubber Products IndustryArtAmerican Red Cross

A fire at a home on Aldino Road Monday afternoon caused $75,000 in damage to the dwelling and its contents but did not injure anyone, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said.

Firefighters from several Harford County fire companies battled the fire that extensively damaged the two-story house in the 3600 block of Aldino Road near Churchville at about 2:30 p.m., according to the Fire Marshal's Office's notice of investigation released Tuesday.

The fire was caused by a dryer in a laundry room, according to the notice of investigation.

The Red Cross was called for two adults, male and female, who were displaced by the fire, the Harford County Volunteer Fire & EMS Association reported on its media Facebook page.

Although no injuries or deaths were reported, emergency personnel took a dog from the scene on a stretcher after administering oxygen to it.

"The family black [Labrador retriever] was pulled from the structure by the first crews on scene," according to the Fire and EMS Association. "The dog was treated at the scene and turned over to animal control. As of last report from the homeowner the dog is expected to make a full recovery."

"At the time of the fire one occupant was home, but was able to escape the structure prior to [fire department] arrival," the Fire and EMS Facebook post continued. "At this time it is estimated that there is 40 [percent] damage to the home from the heavy smoke throughout the structure."

"Due to the construction of the house[,] crews worked at opening the ceilings and wall spaces to make sure there was no fire extension," the Facebook post noted.

About 35 firefighters from Level Volunteer Fire Company, Aberdeen Volunteer Fire Department, Darlington Volunteer Fire Company and Susquehanna Hose Company of Havre de Grace spent 20 minutes to fight the blaze, the Fire Marshal's Office said. Fire companies from Cecil County filled in at some of the vacant Harford stations whose equipment was dispatched to the scene.

Several monitored emergency radio dispatches reported a "working dwelling fire" with heavy smoke. The interior of the home was gutted, according to a photographer who was on the scene. Police blocked off Aldino Road in the vicinity of the fire.

Aegis contributing photographer Bobby Parker provided information for this article.

Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun
Related Content
FiresPhotographyRubber Products IndustryArtAmerican Red Cross
Comments
Loading