How often we think of a friend, or an event from days long past, and in walks a visitor to the Aberdeen Room with collections from those very people!
So it was when Ronald Knight brought a box of books, programs and postcards saved by the late Elva and Earl "Sonny" Kammerer. Both were Aberdeen High School graduates and participated in many civic activities throughout the years.
Packed into the box were Aberdeen High School yearbooks from 1938, 1940, 1941, 1943, 1944 and 1946. There is a program from the 14th Aberdeen High School Alumni Banquet from 1955-56. There are programs from the AHS commencements from 1941 and 1945. There is a program from the Aberdeen High School Junior-Senior Banquet on May 14, 1940. How well some of us remember those years!
There were two postcards packed in the box, as well. One is the Aberdeen Post Office and another of the old Aberdeen school complex on North Philadelphia Boulevard, now the Harford County Community Center.
The name of the Brinney family was mentioned at the museum, and we recalled that Mrs. Clyde Carroll was a Brinney. Within a few days, Jim Carroll sent in an old photo of a relative who served in the Civil War. "Corporal John E. Brinney was in the Union Forces at Apache Canyon and helped defend a Confederate Incursion into the west during the Battle of Glorieta Pass on March 1863." This treasure is in the family files.
Dorothy Litzinger visited again with another box of her son's collections. There is a poster of the May 1, 1963 Ben Ray Day, celebrating 44 years of Ben's police work. There is a photo of a group including Commissioner Kenneth Volkart, Chester Roberts, Ellis Rhinehart, George Brown, David King, Arthur Elliott, Clarence Foote, Harry Neff, Edna Hamilton and representatives from the Harford Sheriff's Department, Edgewood Arsenal, Aberdeen Proving Ground, the City of Havre de Grace, Maryland State Police, FBI and the Town of Bel Air.
The Litzinger collection also includes seals of the City of Aberdeen at the time of the centennial in 1992.
And talk about sports! Officer Litzinger collected posters of Orioles Cal Ripken Jr., Scott Erickson, Mike Mussina, Brady Anderson and 1997 Orioles' wire-to-wire champs.
Included in these treasures is a history of St. George's Parish.
Volunteer Jim Lindsey has made for the family files results of a family search from the census reports. From the census of 1930 is the Elliott family and the Cronin family. From 1940 census are the Volkart and Stark families. Also the Samuel Stark files of 1860. All of these are in the Aberdeen Room's family files.
Barbara Baker brought her clippings of the history of Tudor Hall. From the "Pennysaver" of April 2007 is the "Hidden History of Tudor Hall." She also included a bulletin "Fifty Years and Growing" about the history of Harford Community College.
We clipped Fred Rasmussen's recent article from the Baltimore Sun, "The Man Who Made the B & O Great-John Garrett." Current news and historical clippings are put into binders weekly at the museum.
For the museum's church files, we brought our copy of the most recent newsletter from the United Methodist Historical Society-Baltimore-Washington Conference. The United Methodist Museum at the Lovely Lane United Methodist Church in Baltimore has been updated.Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun