On Jan. 13, Aberdeen Proving Ground Federal Credit Union, the largest credit union in Harford and Cecil counties, celebrated 75 years of continued growth and service to its members and communities.
Overseen by a volunteer, member-elected board of directors, APGFCU's growth is attributed to one primary philosophy, "People Helping People." David H. Gilbert, chairman of APGFCU's board of directors and credit union volunteer for more than 40 years, said. He has been instrumental in the credit union expansion while providing his vision and leadership.
Don Lewis, an employee for 32 years and president/CEO for 18, has been a driving force in APGFCU's active community involvement and a visionary, continually guiding APGFCU into new areas of opportunity.
APG Federal Credit Union's roots go back to 1938 when a small group of APG employees was inspired to improve the financial well-being of the military and civilian families at Aberdeen Proving Ground. They saw the need to provide a safe haven for soldiers to grow their savings and a source of credit that was both available and affordable.
These employee volunteers began business out of a single cash drawer in a small office at APG. Over the years, APGFCU has grown into a $935 million, not-for-profit financial service cooperative, with 11 branches. With 97,000 members and counting, APGFCU continues to operate solely for its members' benefit.
APGFCU attributes its success to its long-term, loyal members, talented employees and dedicated volunteers. Financial literacy education, wealth management counseling, special events and a wide range of informative seminars are the cornerstones that have allowed APGFCU to thrive in its first 75 years and will continue to form the foundation for its future and bring long-term value to its members and communities.
APGFCU's new branch in Fallston brings the total number of APGFCU locations to 11, which includes nine in Harford County and two in Cecil County. For more information, call 410-272-4000, press four, or visit APGFCU.com.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun