The Carroll County Chamber of Commerce recognized 192 teachers at its annual Outstanding Teacher program, held Wednesday, March 28, at Winters Mill High School, and also named eight educators as its Outstanding Teacher Awards:
• Anthony Cimino, drama teacher, Liberty High School
• Janel Fosnot, mathematics teacher, Shiloh Middle School
• Patricia DiLeonardi, social studies teacher, Liberty High School
• Deanne McGrath, mathematics teacher, West Middle School
• Thomas McHugh, English teacher, Century High School
• Patrick Rudolph, technology education teacher/graphics/yearbook, Century High School
• Mary Schlipper, physical education teacher, Mechanicsville Elementary School
• Marti Tomko, Earth science teacher, West Middle School.
The Carroll County Teacher of the Year will be chosen from among the eight receiving the chamber's Outstanding Teacher Award.
That candidate will then be Carroll County's representative for the Maryland Teacher of the Year program. The 2012 Carroll County Teacher of the Year will be named during the Board of Education's employee recognition ceremony on April 26.
Full-time elementary, middle, high school, career and technology or special education teachers, counselors, or media specialists were eligible for nomination. Any parent, student, fellow teacher, supervisor or school administrator could nominate a teacher.
In addition, the Chamber's Business and Education Committee awarded three scholarships to teachers to assist in their continuing education.
The recipients of the scholarships were Jennifer Moran, a social studies teacher at New Windsor Middle School; Scott Trexler, a mathematics teacher at Century High School; and Iris Wingert, media specialist at South Carroll High School.
Mike McMullin, Chamber President, presented the Chamber's Lifetime Achievement Award to Richard Thompson, a former teacher at West Middle School, who retired in 2011 after 38 years with Carroll County Public Schools.
Thompson received the Outstanding Teacher Award four times and was Carroll County's Teacher of the Year in 1990.Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun