There was much to celebrate in several households in our area in June.
A member of the Brancati family, Dr. Frederick Brancati, was the recipient of the prestigious Kelly West award for 2011 from the American Diabetes Association.
Dr. Brancati, the son of Lee Brancati of Cockeysville and the husband of Dr. Liz Jaffee of Timonium, was given the award in recognition for his "significant contributions to the field of diabetes epidemiology, including scientific publications and teaching experience."
Fred, as he is known to family and friends, is director of the Division of General Internal Medicine and a professor atJohns Hopkins University.
The award is given in memory of Kelly West, widely regarded as the "father of diabetes epidemiology".
According to the association, "The Kelly West Award for Outstanding Achievement in Epidemiology is given in memory of Dr. Kelly West, widely regarded as the 'father of diabetes epidemiology.' "
Fred accepted the award at the American Diabetes Association's 71st Scientific Session, held in June in San Diego.
Attending his lecture, ceremony and reception in California was his entire family, including his twin daughters, Franny and Maddy, who are currently sophomores at Dulaney High School.
For full disclosure, I should note that Fred is my younger brother, and I was able to attend along with my children also — we're also proud of his accomplishment.
Epworth United Methodist Church is sponsoring its annual vacation Bible school, "Big Jungle Adventure," running Aug. 8-12, from 5:30 to 8 p.m. For more information, contact Holly Bergen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Cockeysville Senior Center travel office is hosting the following trips. For more information, contact Edam at the center on 410-887-7694. Trips depart from Cockeysville Senior Center or the Cockeysville Baptist Church.
• Aberdeen Iron Birds Baseball, Sunday, July 31, 1:30 p.m. departure, with dinner.
• Suicide Bridge, Hurlock, with crab feast, Monday, Sept. 12, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• Mount Vernon, Va., and Washington, D.C., lunch and tour, Tuesday, Sept. 20, 8:15 a.m. to 7:15 p.m.
• "Buddy: The Buddy Holly Story," on stage at the Allenberry Playhouse, Pa., with buffet lunch, Sunday, Oct. 2, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• "Home for the Holidays," Rainbow Dinner Theatre, Tuesday, Nov. 29, 9:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. buffet lunch and show.
Share the news of your family, friends and organizations, with me, at email@example.comCopyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun