American Legion Parkville Post 183 — 2301 Putty Hill Ave.
• Balladiers meet first and third Wednesdays, 7:30 p.m. 410-665-0372.
• Ballroom Dancing, Wednesdays, 6:30-9:30 p.m. with live or recorded music. Food and drinks available for purchase. Admission $17, $20 on big band nights. Students $12. 410-665-9339.
American Legion Post 130 — 8666 Silver Lake Drive, Perry Hall hosts Bingo, Thursdays, 7-10 p.m. $10 for 27 games. Food and free parking available. 410-870-0625.
Baltimore County Genealogical Society — meets at Parkville Senior Center, 8601 Harford Road, fourth Sundays, Sept. through June, noon-4 p.m. Doors open at noon for library research, computer users group meet at 1 p.m. and society meeting at 2 p.m. A speaker and presentation will follow. 410-665-8769 or http://www.serve.com/begs/begs.html.
Cub Scout Pack 130 — meets at Joppaview Elementary School, is now accepting first- to fifth-graders. Camping, fishing, hiking, archery and more. 410-952-3837 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dubbin Recreation Council — at St. Michael Lutheran Church, 9534 Belair Road, Perry Hall, sponsors square dance lessons, Thursdays, 7:30-9 p.m. 410-592-8512.
Join Your Local 4-H Program — for learning leadership, citizenship, and life skills. The University of Maryland Baltimore County 4-H program serves ages 5-18. Adult volunteer opportunities available. 410-771-1761 or http://www.baltimorecounty.umd.edu.
Knights of Columbus Council 11615 — hosts cash bingo, Feb. 4, 6 p.m., at the Church of the Annunciation parish hall, 5212 McCormick Ave., Rosedale. $12 advance or $15 door. 410-866-6546 or http://www.kofc11615.com and click on the BINGO card.
Maryland Chapter of the American Sewing Guild Quilters Group — hosts monthly meetings first Friday, 5 p.m., St. Johns Lutheran Church, 8808 Harford Road. http://www.marylandasg.org.
Northern Baltimore County Republican and Civic Organization — meets last Thursday, 7:30 p.m., Parkton American Legion Hall, 19520 York Road. Kevin Bruffey, 443-801-1408 or email@example.com.
Parkville Toastmasters — meets first and third Thursdays, 7 p.m. at Oak Crest Village, Crestview Meeting Room, 8820 Walther Blvd., Parkville. Guests welcome. Cheryl Oed, 410-599-6680 or Ravena27@comcast.net.
SETA — an organization of adults sharing cultural events in a social atmosphere every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. http://www.setarts.com or 410-668-1298 before 10 p.m.
United Ladies Democratic Club — is sponsoring a bus trip to Fisherman's Crab Deck/ Delaware Park, July 18, $78. Jean, 410-931-0666.
Health and Support
Baltimore Cancer Support Group — Conference Center at St. Peter's Lutheran Church, 7910 Belair Road, Thursdays, 7-8:30 p.m. 410-668-1762.
Franklin Square Hospital — 9000 Franklin Square Drive, Rosedale. Health Education Center. 443-777-7000. Call for fees.
• Prepared Childbirth Course, Sundays, Feb. 5, 12, 19 and 26, 2-4:30 p.m.
• Prepared Childbirth Comprehensive Course (teen friendly), Feb. 1, 8, 15 and 22, 6:30-9 p.m.
• Breastfeeding: Facts, Myths and Techniques, Feb. 16, 6:30-9 p.m.
• Prenatal Postpartum Yoga, Feb. 14, 21 and 28, 6-7:15 p.m.
• Postpartum Support Group, Feb. 1, 12:15-1 p.m.
• Infant/Child CPR and First Aid, Feb. 18, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Pediatric CPR and choking prevention, Feb. 9, 6:30-9:30 p.m.
• Sibling Class, Feb. 12, 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
• Stroller Strides at White Marsh Mall, Weekdays 9 a.m.
Tai Chi Classes — Babcock Presbyterian Church, 8240 Loch Raven Blvd., Parkville, Thursdays, 8 p.m. 410-296-9497.
Rosedale Recreation and Parks Council — 8200 Old Philadelphia Road, Rosedale. 410-887-0294.
• Red Cross Weekday Swim program, mail-in only registration. Call weekdays 9 a.m.-2 p.m. for details.
• Martial Arts and Fitness, McCormick Elementary School, 5101 Hazelwood Ave., weekdays, 5:30-8:30 p.m. $35 per month.
Parkville Branch — 9509 Harford Road, 410-887-5353.
• Preschool story time, stories, activities and songs, ages 2-5, Jan. 26 and Feb. 2, 9:30 a.m.
• Valentine story time, stories and songs about love, friendship and valentines, ages 2-5, Feb. 2, 9:30 a.m.
Perry Hall Branch — 9685 Honeygo Boulevard, 410-887-5195.
• Baby boosters story time, simple stories, music, movement and rhymes, for up to 23 months, registration required, Jan. 31, 9:30 and 10:30 a.m.
• Preschool story time, stories, activities and songs, ages 2-5, Feb. 1, 10:30 a.m.
• Toddler story time, interactive program of short stories, music and movement activities, ages 2-3, registration required, Jan. 26 and Feb. 2, 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
• "Meet McGruff the Crime Dog," Learn about safety from a Baltimore County police officer, for school age, Jan. 28, 11 a.m.
• Computer know-how, basic computer skills, age 13 and older, registration required, Feb. 2, 9:30 a.m.
• Coffee and book discussion. Feb. 3, 10 a.m.
Rosedale Branch — 6105 Kenwood Ave. 410-887-0512.
• Baby boosters story time, simple stories, music, movement and rhymes, for ages up to 23 months, registration required, Jan. 30, 10:30 a.m.
• Toddler story time, short stories, music and movement activities, ages 2-3, registration required, a.m., Jan. 31, 10:30 a.m.
• Video gaming, playing Wii and Xbox 360 games, ages 11-17, registration required, Jan. 26 and Feb. 2, 3 p.m.
• Preschool story time, stories, activities and songs, ages 2-5, Jan. 27 and Feb. 3, 10:30 a.m.
• Lego event 'Block Party', for school age, Jan. 28, 10 a.m.
• Computer know-how, learning basic computer skills, age 13 and older, registration required, Feb. 2, 9 a.m.
White Marsh Branch — 8133 Sandpiper Circle, 410-887-5097.
• Preschool story time, stories, activities and songs, ages 2-5, Jan. 31, 10:30 a.m.
• Baby boosters story time, simple stories, music, movement and rhymes, ages up to 23 months, registration required, Jan. 26 and Feb.2, 10:30 a.m.
• Small business support, assistance with business plan development, marketing, loan preparation and minority business enterprise from an adviser from the Small Business Resource Center. Make appointment Feb. 1, 10 a.m., 11 a.m., noon or 1 p.m.
• 21-day book club discusses "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton, Feb. 1, 7 p.m.
Seven Oaks Senior Center — 9210 Seven Courts Drive, offers the following. 410-887-5192. Sign up at the front desk.
• Faucet repairs made easy, Jan. 31, 1 p.m. Sign up by Jan. 30.
• Mastering Sudoku, a progressive 4-week class beginning Feb. 3, 10 a.m.-noon.
• Reading buddies, Feb. 3,10, 17 and 24, 12:15 p.m. Volunteer with Seven Oaks Elementary School to help young students learn to read. Contact Lisa Kennedy or Chad Casserly.
• Food safety training, Feb. 6, 11 a.m. Sign up by Feb. 3.
• Council luncheon meeting, Feb. 6, 12:30 p.m. Prior to the meeting, chef Ted cooks a great lunch for $4. Sign up by Feb. 3 for lunch.
• Bingo, Feb. 7 and 28, 12:30 p.m. Cash prizes, $7. The Eating Together Program will provide lunch at noon prior to bingo, sign up at the front desk.
• Healthy brain aging versus dementia, Feb. 7, 1 p.m. Sign up by Feb. 6.
• Identity theft, Feb. 13, 11 a.m. Learn the latest scams and how to protect yourself. Sign up by Feb. 9.
• Valentine's BFF party, Feb. 14, noon. Lunch, dance, listen or sing along to the sounds of Perfect Harmony. $5. Sign up by Feb. 10.
• Seated massage, Feb. 14 and 28, 9:30-11:30 a.m., an eight-minute massage, $5. Make appointment.
• Super special lunch, Feb. 16, noon. Sign up by Feb. 13. $2.50 or more donation.
• Financial Talk, Feb. 16, 10 a.m. A financial advisor discusses how to get back onto the road of financial recovery. Sign up by Feb. 15.
• My Plate, Feb. 21, 11 a.m. Learn about the new dietary guidelines. Sign up by Feb. 17.
• Mardi Gras party, Feb. 21, noon. Lunch with music by Cold Spring Jazz. $7. Sign up by Feb. 17..
• Wellness Wednesday, Feb. 22, 10:45 a.m. A health awareness talk titled "Heart Health." No RSVP needed.
Seven Oaks Senior Center Travel Opportunities. 410-887-5192
• Delaware Park Casino, March 14, 9:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. $24.
• "Jonah" at Sight and Sound Theater, March 21, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. $95.
• Springfest, Ocean City, Md., May 3, 8:30 a.m.-7:30 p.m. $40.
• Bahamas Cruise, Oct. 28-Nov. 2. Sail on the Carnival "Pride". $561-$716 per person double occupancy. 410-795-5414. Mention you are a guest or member of Seven Oaks Senior Center.
• Branson Show, Missouri, June 16-24. Trip includes transportation, eight nights lodging including four nights in Branson, 14 meals, 7 shows.
Mount Carmel Senior Center — 17038 Prettyboy Dam Road, Parkton, 410-887-1923 or firstname.lastname@example.org. offers the following:
• Blood pressure screening, first Tuesday, 9–11 a.m.
• Fitness class, Tuesdays, 9:30 a.m.
• Learn line dancing, Tuesdays, 1 p.m.
• Crazy quilting, (beginners welcome) Tuesdays, 9:30 a.m.
• Greeting card design, materials provided, Tuesdays, 11 a.m. $2 donation requested.
• Eating together program: hot, nutritious, catered lunch, Tuesdays, noon. $2.50 donation requested.
Overlea-Fullerton Senior Center — 4314 Fullerton Ave. 410- 887-5220.
• Valentine party, Feb. 6, noon-2 p.m. Richard Blane performs as Engelbert Humperdinck. A meal precedes the show. $12 for center members and $14 for nonmembers. Purchase by Feb. 3,
• Hoarding: Trash or Treasure, Feb. 22, 11 a.m. Learn about the Baltimore County Hoarding Task Force from Sharon Meyers with the Department of Social Services.
• TV Music Hit Parade, Feb. 23, 1 p.m. Tune Television theme songs from the 50's, 60's and 70's, presented by Anita Avery of Music Antiqua.
• Sadie Hawkins Day line dance, Feb. 29, 1-3 p.m. $5 for members and $7 for nonmembers. Sign up by Feb. 24.
• Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre musical presentation "9 to 5," March 29, $76.
• Delaware Park Casino, April 23, $25.
• Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre musical presentation "Annie Get Your Gun" May 16, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. $76.
Meals on Wheels of Central Maryland — is in need of volunteers to deliver meals to homebound residents in the Parkville, Towson, Timonium and Cockeysville areas. The Distribution Site is located at St. Margaret's Episcopal Church at 1834-A E. Joppa Road, Towson. Meals are picked up by volunteers at the site and delivered between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Monday through Friday. Individuals and/or businesses may volunteer as little or as much time as their schedule permits. Liz Galea, 443-573-0940 or http://www.mealsonwheelsmd.org.
The Baltimore County Department of Aging Home Team Program — needs volunteers to assist with shopping, escort trips, homemaker services for elderly homebound people. 410-887-4141 or email@example.com.
World Heritage — a nonprofit student exchange program is seeking volunteers to serve as area representatives in your local community to recruit and screen potential host families, supervise exchange students, organize activities and provide host families, students and schools. 800-888-9040 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chesapeake Concert Band — is seeking volunteers musicians, especially brass, clarinets and flutists. The band performs concerts for local civic groups, retirement communities and nursing homes. Rehearsals Wednesdays at Ridgely Middle School, 121 E. Ridgely Road, Lutherville. 410-252-3941.
CASA of Baltimore County — needs volunteer court-appointed special advocates and mentors. Must be 21 years old, complete 30 hours of pre-service training, undergo a background check and be willing to make a commitment of at least one year. Male volunteers are especially needed. 410-828-0515 or http://www.casabaltco.org.
Hamilton Arts Collective — needs volunteers to work in the theater, gallery or any other aspect of HAC. 410-444-4272 or email@example.com.
Foster Parents Needed — Caring families and individuals needed to give guidance and stable homes to children and teens. Therapeutic foster parents receive training, financial reimbursement and 24-hour support. KidsPeace, 410-964-9329 or http://www.fostercare.com.Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun