Yesterday, I had my first mishap. It is nothing compared to a bodily injury or the horrible loss of loved ones experienced by some of my neighbors and friends this year. It was simply a mishap involving “things.”
My husband and I had just finished a quiet, cheerful visit with one of our closest friends who stopped in. Afternoon visits have been a hallmark of this long friendship. During the visit I took several photos with my new iPad.
I am not one for electronics, or electronic toys, but the iPad my husband gave me for our anniversary is one of the most fun possessions I own. Fun is something our families have been urging us to pursue in earnest. I have been having a lot of fun documenting our days with my iPad and camera.
After our friend left, I took the iPad upstairs. I had taken its protective cover off when I took the afternoon pictures. The cover is magnetic and often pulls loose when I click a picture. I had recently caught the iPad in my right hand as the cover pulled off in my left mid-picture.
So as not to repeat that scare, I removed the cover on Thursday before I snapped away. When I went to put the iPad carefully down on a table, the corner of it hit the edge of a nearby door. The iPad flew out of my hand and landed on the tile floor.
First I saw a few lines across the screen. Soon they were deeper and longer, and the corner that had hit the door was shattered. The iPad still worked. I went out to the Towson Apple store, but they had no iPad appointments left for the day.
I am headed back on Friday afternoon. An Apple authorized dealer I often use says he thinks they will replace the whole iPad, because it is so new, and because we are such longtime Apple customers. I think he is an optimist, but we shall see.
If he is right, my first holiday mishap may turn into a fine holiday surprise.