Baltimore County officials said on Monday that power outages from Hurricane Irene's winds this past weekend caused 12 sewage pump stations located across the county to overflow at various times, and for varying periods on Sunday.
The overflow was estimated at 16.5 million gallons.
The county's Department of Public Works said that on the north side of the county, Forge Acres, Buchanan Road and Texas pump stations overflowed.
On the west side, the Patapsco, Frederick Road, Valley Village and Carroll Avenue stations overflowed.
And on the south-east side of the county, five stations had reportedly overflowed — Delmar, Masseth Avenue, Chesapeake Terrace, Hyde Park and Fort Howard stations.
Nearly half of Baltimore County's stations were affected by Hurricane Irene, officials said. In several cases where power is supplied to the stations through two independent electrical feeds, both feeders were knocked out of service.
At other stations, trees downed over live power lines prevented county crews from accessing the stations with portable generators until BGE could confirm that the power lines were not charged, officials said.
The problem was "surprisingly democratically scattered," said DPW spokesman David Fiddler, and often aggravated by the fact that work crews had to wait to make repairs until BGE determined the wires downed by trees were safe.
The good news is that they had stemmed the flow by Monday, he said.
The county Department of Health listed the following waters as those known to have been directly affected by sewage overflows, and issued Water Quality Advisories for those areas:
• The Patapsco River south of Ilchester Road, continuing to the river mouth.
• Jones Falls, east of Greenspring Valley Road.
• Beaver Dam Run, east of Recycle Way.
• Brice Run, south of Liberty Road.
• Lake Roland, south of Bellona Avenue.
• Gunpowder River, east of Philadelphia Road.
• Back River-Muddy Gut, south west of Route 702.
• Chink Creek, south of Wise Ave.
• Jones Creek, south of Sparrows Point Road
• Old Road Bay south of Bay Front Road.