Freedom rings, booms and sparkles when fireworks light up the night sky July 4. Enjoy the rockets' red glare from the comfort of these church lawns in Arbutus. Both offer spectacular views of the annual display at Catonsville High School:
• St. Stephen Lutheran Church, 901 Courtney Road, invites neighbors to bring lawn chairs and snacks as dusk settles. The church will be open for use of the facilities.
Call the church office, 410-242-0422.
• Arbutus United Methodist Church, 1201 Maple Ave., serves supper at 6 p.m., featuring pit beef and pork, franks, burgers, homemade potato chips and fries, desserts and beverages. Bring chairs or blankets as well as your appetite.
Call the church office, 410-242-9029.
Scoop up luscious treats at Our Savior Lutheran Church, 141 Laverne Ave., on Sundae Sunday, July 10, following the 10 am. worship hour. All you need is your sweet tooth!
Iced tea hours are also featured throughout the summer on the front law. Cool beverages and seasonal treats follow services.
Call 410-242-2141 for tasty tidbits.
Early worships at 8:30 a.m. are available in these churches during July and August. Casual dress, contemporary tunes.
• Arbutus United Methodist Church, 1201 Maple Ave.
• Halethorpe-Relay United Methodist Church, 4513 Ridge Ave.
• St. Stephen Lutheran Church, 901 Courtney Road. Doors open at 8:30 a.m. for 9 a.m. service.
Vacation Bible schools are every parent's answer to wails by restless youngsters that, "There's nothing to do!"
For your convenience, consider these local church for July:
• Halethorpe-Relay United Methodist Church, July 11-15, 9:30-11:30 a.m., for ages 4-11 years.
Bible-based crafts, games, music, lessons and treats every day. Pizza party on Friday. Collecting school supplies for Southwest Emergency Services. Register through the church office. Walk-ins welcome, too.
• Arbutus United Methodist Church, July 11-15, 6:15-8:30 p.m., for ages 3-11 years.
"Shake it up Bible Café" is the tasty theme, dishing up culinary crafts, music, games and Bible stories. Family night on Friday. Love offerings. Call the church to register or just walk in.