Follow the birdie
Paul Lomuntad and Xiaodong Zhang won the 2012 Catonsville Club Badminton Tournament with the team of Tony Wang and Imtiaz Chowdhury runners-up.
Third place went to Hashem Choudhry and R.J.Isibido. Fourth place went to Fuzi Ayub-O'Neill and Kobina Quainoo.
Eight other teams tied for fifth place. The club started in 1962 and president Rick Wiker has been running it since 1978.
The club plays at Bloomsbury Field House on Bloomsbury Avenue and at Western School of Technology and Environmental Science on Kenwood Avenue.
For information, go to http://www.catonsvillebadminton.org.
Turning Pages Family Reading Club will host a dance party and silent auction on Nov. 10, from 8-11p.m. at Matthew's 1600. Tickets are $50. Music, hors d'oeuvres and a silent auction including Ravens tickets, original art, restaurant gift certificates and more. The local nonprofit is a literacy and family reunification program that enables incarcerated fathers and their children to read together. For information, go to http://www.FamilyReadingClub.org. or contact Flo Kennedy-Stack at email@example.com or 410-978-2207.
The Mount de Sales Academy Career Day on Nov. 14 is a great opportunity for students to hear community members discuss their careers. The half-day event will include four 40-minute sessions during which speakers will share their educational path, their responsibilities, provide keys to success in their field and meet the students. Contact guidance counselor Jen Ewing at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in taking part.
Boy Scout Troop 306's 100th anniversary part Sept. 23 at Patapsco Valley State Park was a huge success. Former Scouts swapped "Tales from the Trail" and enjoyed memorabilia from fellow Scouts as well as the newspaper clipping and photos that Glenda Johnson and Karen Yakel assembled that ranged form 1911 to the present. The grandson of Rev. John Nesbitt, the troop's original organizer in 1911, joined the occasion, as did Ted Johnson, a Scout as a youth and later a Scout leader, who has 63 years of service, and Dick Arnold, a scoutmaster from the 1950s.
The former funeral home at 736 Edmondson Ave. has been sold to The Church of the Good Shepherd. The Church of the Good Shepherd was formed in 1994 as a mission parish of the Charismatic Episcopal Church. Church members have been meeting at the Ellicott City VFW Hall on Sunday mornings. The Rev. Dr. Martin Eppard, pasto, is working to preparing the Edmondson Avenue site for services and a conference center. Check out the progress at http://www.goodshepherd-cec.org.
ACT Body Shop in expanding to the former C&P Building on Bloomingdale Avenue. Automotive Collison Technologies has shops in Reisterstown, Annapolis, Hunt Valley, Westminster and Glen Burnie.