An article in the Oct. 26, 1912, edition of The Argus reported an unexpected early dismissal for students at the local high school after the school's classrooms were flooded.

An explosion of the heating apparatus in the Catonsville High School Friday afternoon of last week caused considerable excitement among the 500 children who were in the building at the time. The safety valve on one of the hot-water furnaces, it is said, bursted, causing a loud report and startling the children. Several of the classrooms were flooded with water, and the children were dismissed for the afternoon by their teachers.

*****

Considerable excitement was caused Thursday at noon in the vicinity of Frederick and Winters avenues, when a large bull belonging to Henry Fischbach broke out of the pasture in the rear of his home. The animal dashed up Winters avenue and had pedestrians running and jumping fences to escape.


"Like" explorebaltimorecounty's Facebook page

After some time, the bull was corralled and taken back to the pasture. No one was injured.

*****

Returning from a visit to her husband's grave in Loudon Park Cemetery, Mrs. John F. Guthridge, of Washington, sister of Mrs. G. O. Wilson, of Embla Park, near Roland Park, was stricken Wednesday afternoon with heart failure and fell dead in the cemetery.

Mrs. Guthridge's husband died last June. A monument to him was completed Tuesday and Mrs. Guthridge came from Washington to inspect it.

Accompanied by Mrs. Wilson, she visited the cemetery and spent some time at the grave. Satisfied with the work, she started for the Frederick road car. Before reaching the cemetery boundary, while talking to her sister, she staggered and fell to the ground.

*****

Fire destroyed Minniefield, the home of Mrs. John G. Hollyday, adjoining Hunting Ridge, the estate of Mr. and Mrs. E. Austin Jenkins, on Edmondson avenue, about 3 o'clock Wednesday afternoon. It was the second house to be burned on the site since it was purchased by the late Doctor and Mrs. Hollyday about 30 years ago. No one was injured.

By a strange coincidence, the first fire was started by the explosion of an oil stove, the second by the explosion of gas in the kitchen.

*****

Coon hunters are thought to have started a fire Tuesday night in the rear of the home of Mr. Charles E. Lewis, Rolling road, near Catonsville.

According to Mr. Lewis, hunters were seen in that vicinity and it is believed that a coon was treed and, with no other means to bring him down, the tree was set on fire. The flames spread to the rest of the woods.

The fire was first discovered about 9:30 o'clock by Miss Katherine Lewis. She called her mother, who telephoned to the Catonsville Engine Company. The firemen had a line of hose stretched for a distance of over 1700 feet and, after much difficulty, it succeeded in extinguishing the flames.

75 Years Ago

An article from the Oct. 22, 1937 edition of The Catonsville Herald and Baltimore Countian recognized a milestone anniversary for a local business.

E.R. Stagmer & Son, Catonsville pharmacists, will celebrate the firm's fourteenth anniversary of business in Catonsville during the week beginning this Saturday, October 23, and ending next Saturday, October 30.

The Stagmer firm has become a Catonsville institution through its long period of conscientious service here. Thousands of Catonsville residents are its regular customers, both for pharmaceutical services and general drug store needs. Stagmer's have consistently maintained a high standard of quality, accuracy and dependability, which the community recognizes and appreciates.