What makes a budget beach: Moderately priced motels and restaurants. Close to other interesting beaches and sites.
1. Anastasia State Recreation Area: A lot of water activities. Playground for kids. Nice views of nature. Historic St. Augustine is just a couple of miles away.
2. Clearwater Beach-Sand Key Park: Clearwater has plenty of accommodations and moderately priced restaurants. Sand Key Park is a great place for families and picnics. North of Tampa.
3. Hollywood Beach: Watch the eccentrics and in-line skaters go by on the boardwalk. Walk the beach and stay in reasonably priced motels. Take a day trip to John U. Lloyd State Recreation Area, Fort Lauderdale or South Beach. North of Miami.
4. St. Andrews State Recreation Area: Lovely, natural park with plenty of activities for the kids. Travel a couple of miles to Panama City Beach for its stores and amusements, such as putt-putt and carnival rides. In the Panhandle near Panama City.
5. John D. MacArthur State Park: A retreat from the urban development of Palm Beach County. Close to ritzy Palm Beach and a couple of nice parks - Spanish River and Red Reef - in Boca Raton. North of Palm Beach.
5 best beaches on a budget
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
The Baltimore Sun encourages civil dialogue related to our stories; you must register and log-in to our site in order to participate. We reserve the right to remove any user and to delete comments that violate our Terms of Service. By commenting, you agree to these terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.