The Baltimore Whiskey Company waited three years to release its aged rye whiskey. Last month, the wait paid off in a major way.
The distillery, which is in the process of moving to Medfield’s Union Collective from Remington, won the San Francisco World Spirits Competition’s Double Gold, the highest honor from the national competition, for its Epoch Straight Rye Whiskey.
Founded in 2000, the SFWSC took place April 13-15 in San Francisco, where nearly 2,500 entries were judged by 47 expert judges from more than 65 countries, according to a spokeswoman for the competition. The Baltimore Whiskey Company was the only Maryland distillery to win Double Gold.
Other Maryland distilleries were also awarded, including Risky Rum by Mount Airy’s MISCellaneous Distillery, which won gold.
Here’s a complete list of the Maryland winners from the competition, per the spokeswoman:
- 318 Vodka, Springfield Manor Winery & Distillery
- Fumus Pumila Wood Smoked Apple Spirit, The Baltimore Whiskey Company
- Lavender Vodka, Springfield Manor Winery & Distillery
- Maryland-Heritage White Whiskey, McClintock Distilling
- Restless Rye Whiskey, MISCellaneous Distillery
- Small Batch Patriot Rum, Springfield Manor Winery & Distillery
- American Single Malt Whiskey, Old Line Spirits
- Cask Strength American Single Malt Whiskey, Old Line Spirits
- Asimina Pumila Pechuga Style Apple Brandy, The Baltimore Whiskey Company
- Dew Point Rum, MISCellaneous Distillery
- Forager Gin, McClintock Distilling
- Epiphany Vodka, McClintock Distilling
- Maryland Rye Whiskey, Springfield Manor Winery & Distillery
- White Collar Bourbon, Springfield Manor Winery & Distillery
- Reserve Cognac-Finished Gin, McClintock Distilling
- Reserve Double Oak Rye Whiskey, Sagamore Spirit
- Risky Rum, MISCellaneous Distillery
- Epoch Straight Rye Whiskey, The Baltimore Whiskey Company
MORE MIDNIGHT SUN