"Glee" star Cory Monteith died of mixed drug toxicity, involving intravenous heroin use and ingestion of alcohol, according the final report from the British Columbia Coroners Service issued Wednesday.
The report also ruled the 31-year-old's death accidental. The final findings support initial results of the July 13 death of the young actor, who had long battled addiction.
Monteith, who played sweet jock Finn Hudson on the Fox musical dramedy, was found dead in his hotel room in Vancouver, Canada.
The coroner's final report details the scene, saying investigators found drug paraphernalia, "including a spoon with drug residue and a used hypodermic needle, along with two empty champagne bottles and glasses." It went on to say that hotel video captured "Monteith returning alone to his room at 2:16 a.m. on July 13, and that he was not seen alive again."
At the time of his death, according to the report, Monteith had an alcohol level of 0.13%, with a "moderate" level of intoxication. Tests also revealed the presence of morphine, codeine and "6-monoacetylmorphine," a metabolite of heroin.
In the months prior to his death, the actor had completed a stint in rehab, which caused him to miss the final episodes of "Glee's" fourth season. The coroner's report confirmed Monteith's history of "illicit drug use," noting periodic stints in rehab, followed by periods of sobriety for various lengths of time.
The findings also note that users of opioid drugs, which includes heroin, who halt use for a period of time lessen their tolerance for the drug.
The news comes a week before "Glee" plans to pay tribute to the late star. The episode will air Oct. 10. Last month, Monteith was part of a select group of TV players that received special tributes during the 65th Primetime Emmys -- which sparked some controversy.
Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun