Total time: 1 hour, 20 minutes, plus cooling time for the pies
Note: Makes enough filling for 12 to 14 mini-pies or 1 (9- to 10-inch) pie
3 whole eggs
3 egg yolks
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
9 tablespoons (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) melted butter
Scant ½ teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons bourbon
2 1/4 cups pecan pieces
12 unbaked mini pie shells
Prepared egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water)
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin tins in each alternating cup.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks. Whisk in the corn syrup and sugar, then the melted butter, salt and bourbon. Stir in the pecan pieces.
3. Fill the pie shells: Brush the edges with the prepared egg wash and fill with the pecan filling, about one-fourth cup filling for each shell.
4. Bake the mini-pies, one tin at a time, in the center of the oven until the filling is set and the crust is puffed and golden brown, about 25 minutes.
5. Cool the pies, still in the tins, to room temperature, twisting them gently every few minutes so they do not stick to the pan.