Patricia and Merle Butler
Red Bud, Ill., residents Patricia and Merle Butler show their cut of the record $656 million Mega Millions jackpot. Teh downstate couple claimed $218 million cut of the record jackpot. (E. Jason Wambsgans, Chicago Tribune /April 18, 2012)
The jackpots for the two biggest lottery games in the United States have reached record-breaking heights in the past few years. Here are the Top 5 jackpots.
1. $656 million, March 30, 2012, Mega Millions
2. $648 million, Dec. 17, 2013, Mega Millions
3. $591 million, May 18, 2013, Powerball
4. $588 million, Nov. 29, 2012, Powerball
5. $448 million, Aug. 7, 2013, Powerball
Source: Mega Millions
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more
about the new features.
The Baltimore Sun encourages civil dialogue related to our stories; you must register and log-in to our site in order to participate. We reserve the right to remove any user and to delete comments that violate our Terms of Service
. By commenting, you agree to these terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.