With Clemson’s Terry Don Phillips announcing his retirement Thursday, the ACC is left with only four athletic directors who took their current post before 2006.
Hired in 1992, Wake Forest’s Ron Wellman is the dean of the conference’s ADs, both in tenure at his school and within the league. Virginia Tech’s Jim Weaver and Boston College’s Gene DeFilippo arrived at their schools in 1997, but both are relatively new to the ACC — the Hokies joined in 2004, the Eagles a year later.
Debbie Yow took over at North Carolina State in 2010 but has been an AD in the league since 1994, when Maryland hired her.
Clemson becomes the fifth conference AD gig to change hands since 2010, joining North Carolina, North Carolina State, Maryland and Miami. Phillips had been on the job since 2002.
Here are the ACC’s athletic directors, their date of hire and previous AD stops:
* Boston College: DeFilippo, September 1997. Villanova and South Carolina-Spartanburg.
* Clemson: Phillips, 2002. Oklahoma State, Louisiana-Lafayette and Liberty.
* Duke: Kevin White, May 2008. Notre Dame, Arizona State, Tulane, Maine and Loras College.
* Florida State: Randy Spetman, February 2008. Utah State and Air Force.
* Georgia Tech: Dan Radakovich, February 2006, American University.
* Maryland: Kevin Anderson, September 2010, Army.
* Miami: Shawn Eichorst, April 2011. No previous AD experience.
* North Carolina: Bubba Cunningham, November 2011. Tulsa and Ball State.
* N.C. State: Yow, June 2010. Maryland and Saint Louis.
* Virginia: Craig Littlepage, August 2001. No previous AD experience.
* Virginia Tech: Weaver, September 1997. Western Michigan, Nevada-Las Vegas.
* Wake Forest: Wellman, October 1992. Illinois State, Mankato State and Elmhurst College. He will chair the NCAA basketball tournament selection committee in 2013-14.
As for the schools set to join the ACC in 2013:
Steve Pederson is five years into his second stint as Pittsburgh’s athletic director. He served in the position from 1996-2002 before heading to Nebraska for five years.
Daryl Gross has been Syracuse’s AD since 2004.
I can be reached at 247-4636 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me at twitter.com/DavidTeelatDP
Here’s a link to my Daily Press print columns.Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun