A state historical marker commemorating a 17th-century manor house called Gloucester Hall will be dedicated on Oct. 27.
The sign will be located near the intersection of Route 17 and Bacons Fort Road, about 7 1/2 miles north of Gloucester Court House.
Gloucester Hall was built around the 1660s by Col. John Pate on a 2,100-acre plantation, said a Department of Historic Resources spokesman. In 1676, Nathaniel Bacon, who led a rebellion of frontiersman and planters against colonial authorities, died at Gloucester Hall of a fatal illness that brought the uprising to an end.
The whereabouts of Bacon's remains endures as a mystery.
Gloucester Hall served in 1684 as the first Virginia residence of Royal Governor Francis Howard, baron Howard of Effingham, whose wife, Lady Philadelphia Pelham Howard, died there in 1685.
Keynote remarks during the ceremony will be provided by Warren M. Billings, a visiting professor at the College of William & Mary. Other speakers include Gloucester archaeologists David Brown and Thane Harpole, co-directors of The Fairfield Foundation; A.J. Pate, sponsor of the marker; the Rev. Theodore H. McConnell, interim rector of Ware Episcopal Church in Gloucester, and a representative of the Department of Historic Resources.
Here is the text of the marker:
Near here stood Gloucester Hall (built ca. 1660s), where Bacon’s Rebellion effectively ended with the fatal illness of its leader, Nathaniel Bacon, in 1676. In 1684, this house served as the first Virginia residence of Royal Governor Francis Howard, baron Howard of Effingham, whose wife, Lady Philadelphia Pelham Howard, died there in 1685. Col. John Pate, a member of the Council of State, built the house on his 2,100-acre plantation, including 1,141 acres that his uncle Richard Pate had patented in 1650. Col. Thomas Pate inherited the plantation in 1672. Both Richard Pate and Col. Thomas Pate represented Gloucester County in the House of Burgesses.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun