Windsor is a small town at the crossroads of U.S. routes 258 and 460 in the center of Isle of Wight County.
"Corrowaugh" was the first recorded name for what would later become Windsor.
Corrowaugh was established as a post office in 1852, with mail was brought by courier once a week until 1859, when Norfolk and Petersburg Railroad (now Norfolk Southern) landed the contract to deliver the mail. The railroad built a depot, calling it Windsor Station.
By the turn of the 20th century, residents elected to make the town official, and the General Assembly granted Windsor's charter in 1902.
The town is now growing around U.S. Route 460, an alternate route between Hampton Roads and Richmond. The town's population has more than doubled over the past decade, to more than 2,600 residents, with more growth expected tied to the Port of Hampton Roads.
There are plans to build a new U.S. 460 — just south of the existing thoroughfare — to help alleviate traffic throughout Hampton Roads. But that project has been put on hold as state officials review the project's planning and permitting process under the prior administration.
Just east of Windsor on U.S. 460 is the Shirley T. Holland Commerce Park, home of a million-square-foot Cost Plus World Market distribution center. In 2011, the park landed Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, which runs a roasting, grinding and packaging facility there.
The town began a police department in 2001, and is also served by the Windsor Volunteer Fire Department and The Windsor Volunteer Rescue Squad.
Area: 4 square miles
Median age: 45
Median income: $41,210
Mayor: Carita J. Richardson
Contact: 242-4288; twitter.com/townofwindsor
http://www.windsor-va.govCopyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun