Every Friday in Ticket, the Daily Press offers suggestions on things to do over the weekend and upcoming events to plan for. There are often lots more that won't fit into the print sections. So look here for Ticket Extras! online each Friday. This is a listing and links to additional events across Hampton Roads that you’ll find only at www.dailypress.com.
There's still time to catch the holiday displays and shows in Newport News, Williamsburg, Norfolk and Virginia Beach:
- "Star of Wonder: Mystery of the Christmas Star." through Dec. 31. Abbitt Planetarium, Virginia Living Museum, 524 J. Clyde Morris Blvd., Newport News. Experience the journey of the Magi in the planetarium theater. Times vary. Daytime shows $4 plus museum admission, $2 for members. Evening shows $3 for museum members, $6 for general public. 595-1900.
- "Laser Holidays." through Dec. 31. Abbitt Planetarium, Virginia Living Museum, 524 J. Clyde Morris Blvd., Newport News. Featuring classic holiday favorites such as 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer' and 'Jingle Bell Rock' along with a dazzling display of colorful, animated light. For daytime shows, cost is $4 plus museum admission, $2 for museum members. Evening shows are $6 for the general public, $3 for members. 595-1900.
- Celebration in Lights, through Jan. 1. Newport News Park, at intersection of Fort Eustis Boulevard and Jefferson Avenue. The park is transformed by more than 800,000 lights creating animated holiday and fanciful scenes. This year's event will feature more "light tubes" which create the effect of falling snow, more lighted arches and refurbishment of displays with energy-efficient LED bulbs. 5:30-10 p.m. daily. $10 per car, $60 per bus. 926-1400.
- Christmas Town, Williamsburg. Through Dec. 31. Busch Gardens' annual holiday extravaganza boasts 6 million twinkling lights, three live shows, a 50-foot-fall Christmas tree, and dinner with Santa and Mrs. Claus, among other delights. Tickets are $30 a person.
- McDonald's Holiday Lights at the Beach. Through Jan. 1. Virginia Beach Boardwalk from 2nd Street to 33rd Street. Take a shiny journey into nautical, holiday and adventure lands – all along the Virginia Beach boardwalk. Festive fish, jumping dolphins, frolicking porpoises – all in bright, colored lights against the clear night-time sky, are the stars of the show. 5:30-10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, 5:30-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday. Monday-Thursday, $12 per car. Friday-Sunday and holidays, $15 per car. 757-491-SUNN.
- Dominion Garden of Lights. 5:30-10 p.m. nightly through Dec. 31 Norfolk Botanical Garden, 6700 Azalea Garden Road, Norfolk. The garden is transformed into a winter wonderland where visitors can enjoy a two-mile drive through a million sparkling lights. $15 per car Monday-Thursday, $20 per car Friday-Sunday. 441-5830.
Other events this weekend or soon:
High Noon Year’s Eve at The Virginia Living Museum, a family-themed New Year’s Eve event. Tuesday, Dec. 31.
Gin Blossoms at Virginia Beach Town Center Tuesday, Dec. 31Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun