Additional details on Saturday's fatal car wreck on Route 17

A two-vehicle wreck on Saturday that claimed the life of Gloucester resident Donald Troy Durham remains under investigation with possible charges pending against the driver who allegedly caused the accident.

Donald Troy Durham, 46, of Summerville Drive in Gloucester, died Monday of injuries sustained in the collision. Durham was driving a 1986 Blazer and his teenage daughter was a passenger.

Durham had pulled out of the Sears Contracting Corp. entrance onto southbound Route 17 on Saturday about 5 p.m., said Virginia State Police First Sgt. Caren Sterling in an interview on Wednesday afternoon. Durham's Blazer had established a lane of travel in the left lane, she said.

A 1995 Chevrolet S10 pickup driven by Jeremy Shane Hedrick, 40, of Ark, was traveling in the right-hand lane before heading into Durham's lane of travel and striking the vehicle in the rear quarter panel, Sterling said.

A Virginia State Police investigator is trying to determine how fast Hedrick was driving at the time of the collision, Sterling said. A witness reported he was traveling at a high rate of speed, she said.

Durham's vehicle left the highway and overturned, with both Durham and his daughter being ejected from the vehicle. The initial investigation reveals that neither Durham nor his daughter appeared to be wearing seat belts, Sterling said.

Hedrick's pickup ran off the left side of the highway, entered back onto the highway and veered off the right side of the highway before striking a tree.

Both Durham and his daughter were flown to Medical College of Virginia in Richmond, where the girl remains hospitalized with critical injuries, Sterling said. An initial report from the Virginia State Police on Tuesday that Hedrick was also flown to Medical College of Virginia was inaccurate, Sterling said.

Hedrick was transported to Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News and discharged on Saturday, Sterling said.

The preliminary results of the investigation have been forwarded to the Gloucester Commonwealth's Attorney Office, Sterling said.



Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad