A small fire broke out this morning at the Old Water Tower on the Magnificent Mile, one of the few public buildings to survive the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. Firefighters quickly put it out.
Crews were summoned to the building at 806 N. Michigan Ave. about 9:30 a.m. after smoke was observed on the first floor of the building, said Richard Rosado, a spokesman for the Chicago Fire Department.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the minor fire, which resulted from an overheated motor sparking insulation, said Quention Curtis, another spokesman for the department.
No injuries or evacuations were necessary, Rosado said.
Construction on the 138-foot building was started in 1867 and finished in 1869. One of the few public buildings to have survived the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, it now houses a tourist information center.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun