Six teens accused in a videotaped beating of a Chicago high school student were released Friday from electronic monitoring over the objection of the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office.
In January, a Cook County judge had ordered the teens confined to their homes, forbade them from using their cell phones or contacting each other and put them on electronic monitoring while they awaited trial.
Judge Terrance Sharkey on Friday allowed the teens to be removed from electronic monitoring, but reminded them that they could not be involved in gangs, guns or drugs, had curfews of 8 p.m., and were required to attend school and maintain C averages.
Their identities of the teens have not been made public because they are juveniles and are facing juvenile charges.
Police have previously said that one of the six lives in Arlington Heights, the rest in Chicago.
Cook County prosecutors have said that the six teens and another teen, who has been charged as an adult, allegedly lured a 17-year-old to an alley in the 2700 block of South Shields Avenue in January, where they repeatedly punched, kicked and taunted him before stealing his gym shoes, wallet and $180 in cash.
The victim, a senior at Curie High School, was treated at a hospital for bruising to his eyes and a swollen and bloody nose, as well as cuts to his lips and bruises to his ribs and body, according to a prosecutor.
A videotape of the beating, posted on YouTube, created an Internet sensation, which helped lead police to the teens.Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun