No bail for suspect in New Year's Day slaying

Tribune reporter

A 20-year-old gang member gunned down a 28-year-old Bronzeville man on New Year's Day, then stood over his victim and fired several more shots, a prosecutor said today during a bond hearing.

Bail was denied for Anthony Robinson, 20, in the slaying of Kelvin Jemison, who was the second homicide of the new year in Chicago. Robinson's next court date was set for Feb. 19.

Jemison was walking in Bronzeville in the middle of the afternoon on New Year's Day when a dusty black car circled the block. Twice.

The third time around, the car stopped near Jemison and three people got out, authorities say. As two of them acted as lookouts, the third man began shooting at Jemison and a 17-year-old friend with him. They ran and the gunman kept firing until Jemison fell to the ground, authorities say.

The gunman then stood over him and fired several more shots, prosecutors said.

Jemison lived in the 4700 block of South Michigan Avenue and was shot in the 4500 block of South Champlain Avenue, a few blocks away.

Robinson, who witnesses said fired the shots, is a known member of the 46-Terror faction of the Gangster Disciples street gang, according to the assistant state's attorney at Saturday's bond hearing.

An eyewitness positively identified Robinson at the scene immediately after the murder, according to the assistant state's attorney.

Also charged with murder in the case is Clyde Jackson, 19, who police say was one of the lookouts. The third suspect is still at large.

Jackson on Friday was ordered held without bond because of a probation violation for an armed robbery conviction.

In 2011, Jackson robbed a man of his watch at gunpoint, according to court records. The victim chased Jackson and tackled him and held him until police arrived. Jackson was convicted of aggravated robbery and given two years of probation.
Twitter: @ChicagoBreaking

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad