The Yunker schoolhouse,14299 S. Wolf Rd., Orland Township

Located in unincorporated, south suburban Cook County, this one-room schoolhouse went through interior renovations, converting it into rental space for commercial use, but has maintained its historic character on the exterior. The school was built with rusticated concrete block walls, a two-columned entrance portico and a school bell housed in a cupola.<br>
<br>
The front of the building is marked 1910 and the door lintel is carved "School District 134."  The land upon which the school was built had been bought from William Yunker, a local farmer.  The school closed in 1957 after consolidation with School District 135 and was used for storage until the current owner purchased it in 1987.
chi-mh16landmarkschool20080917024121

( Tribune photo by John Smierciak / July 27, 1999 )

Located in unincorporated, south suburban Cook County, this one-room schoolhouse went through interior renovations, converting it into rental space for commercial use, but has maintained its historic character on the exterior. The school was built with rusticated concrete block walls, a two-columned entrance portico and a school bell housed in a cupola.

The front of the building is marked 1910 and the door lintel is carved "School District 134." The land upon which the school was built had been bought from William Yunker, a local farmer. The school closed in 1957 after consolidation with School District 135 and was used for storage until the current owner purchased it in 1987.

  • Email E-mail
  • add to Twitter Twitter
  • add to Facebook Facebook
  • Home Delivery Home Delivery

PHOTO GALLERIES

TOP VIDEO

CONNECT WITH US


2013 YEAR IN REVIEW
Look for this special section in your
Baltimore Sun newspaper on Dec. 29, 2013.
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Google Plus
  • RSS Feeds
  • Mobile Alerts and Apps

Contact Us | Newsroom directory | Social Sun